A classic white bread, great for sandwiches.
1¾ cups warm (105°F to 110°F) water
1 tablespoon honey
2¼ teaspoons (1 standard packet) active dry yeast
4¼ cups bread flour (or unbleached, all-purpose flour), divided
¼ cup nonfat, dry powdered milk
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces and at room temperature
Nonstick cooking spray
Nutritional information per 1-ounce slice: Calories 64 (15% from fat) • carb. 12g • pro. 1g fat 1g • sat. fat 1g • chol 3mg • sod. 116mg • calc. 7mg fiber 1g
- Stir together the warm water, honey and yeast in the Cuisinart® mixing bowl. Attach the dough hook. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is foamy and bubbly.
- While the yeast is proofing, combine 4 cups of flour, powdered milk and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
- Once the yeast is foamy, add the flour mixture and the butter and turn the mixer on to Speed 2. Mix until dough comes together as a ball and cleans the side of the bowl.
- Once dough ball is formed, continue to knead on Speed 2 for about 4 to 5 minutes. Dough should be smooth. If sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until smooth. Alternatively, if the dough seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place it into a clean mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- Lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Punch the dough down, shape into a loaf and place into prepared pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled.
- While loaf is rising, preheat oven to 375°F. When loaf has doubled, bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from loaf pan and cool on a wire rack.
TIP: Bread slices best when allowed to cool completely. If a softer crust is desired, brush the top with melted butter.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!