The Cuisinart ® version of the Jamaican staple brings out the flavors of Jamaican jerk seasoning.
Functions: Soak, Sauté & One Pot
3 cooker cups dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight*
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
4 stems fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 ½ x ½-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
3 cooker cups medium-grain white rice
1 cup water
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 green onions, sliced
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 470 (21% from fat) • carb. 77g • pro. 18g
fat 11g • sat. fat 9g • chol. 0mg • sod. 420mg
calc. 141mg • fiber 13g
1. Put the olive oil in the cooking pot of the Cuisinart ® Rice and Grain Multicooker. Select the Sauté function and press Start/Stop. Once oil is hot and shimmering, about 2 minutes, add the garlic and jalapeño. Sauté until softened and fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Press Start/Stop.
2. Add the beans, coconut milk, broth, thyme, bay leaf, ½ teaspoon salt and ginger. Select the One Pot function for 1 hour and 20 minutes and press Start/Stop.
3. When 40 minutes are remaining, open the lid and add the rice and water. Close the lid again and let the unit complete its cooking program.
4. Once the audible tone has sounded to indicate the end of cooking, open the lid, remove the thyme stems, and add the remaining ingredients, including the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt; toss to combine.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
* Use the Soak function to soak the kidney beans, a minimum of 8 hours and up to 18 hours. Drain and rinse prior to using in recipe.