Have you ever tried making a sandwich that’s packed with tropical chicken kabob ingredients? You don’t need skewers for these! The flavors of the islands (sweet pineapple, soy and ginger) accompany saucy chicken in these Luau Un-Shish-Kabob Sandwiches.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ cup soy sauce
• ¼ cup water, plus 2 tablespoon
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoon ginger, minced
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 2 teaspoon cornstrach
• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 4 thick slices of pineapple, cored
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 4 sandwich buns
• ¾ cup Cotija cheese
• green onions, chopped, for topping
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill.
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat add oil and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Mix in soy sauce, ¼ cup water, honey, brown sugar, ginger and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
3. In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoon water. Slowly add to the saucepan and whisk until the sauce has thickened. Keep warm.
4. Add chicken and pineapple to grill. Grill pineapple for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and set aside. Grill chicken 10 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from grill and shred the chicken.
5. Layer onion, chicken and sliced pineapple onto each sandwich bun. Drizzle with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.