Using the soaking liquid from the dried porcinis gives this risotto much depth in flavor.
Makes 5 cups
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
2½ ounces Parmesan, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 small to medium shallots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups Arborio rice
2 tablespoons dry white wine
3 cups chicken stock or broth, low sodium
Nutritional information per serving (½ cup): Calories 191 (16% from fat) • carb. 32g • pro. 5g • fat 3g • sat. fat 2g • Col. 8mg • sod. 508mg • calc. 87mg • fiber 1g
Vegetarian • Gluten Free
1. Add 3 cups water to the work bowl. Secure Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes at 285°F.
2. Add 1 ounce porcini mushrooms to a stainless steel bowl. Pour boiled water over the mushrooms. Cover bowl and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
3. While mushrooms steep, insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 2½ ounces of Parmesan, cut into 1-inch pieces, to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
4. The processor is set to grate for 40 seconds on Speed 12.
5. Remove and reserve the cheese and wipe bowl clean. Add 2 shallots, cut into 1-inch pieces, to the work bowl. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
6. Replace Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle and add the teaspoon oil, tablespoon butter, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
7. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set to 5 minutes at 205°F on Speed 2.
8. Add 2 cups Arborio rice. An additional 2 minutes of cooking time is added, so that grain edges are translucent.
9. Add 2 tablespoons wine. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set.
10. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, 3 cups chicken broth and 1½ cups reserved porcini liquid. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place.
11. The cooking time is set for 20 minutes at 205°F on Speed 2.
12. Add the reserved Parmesan. The cooking time is set to 1 minute at 85°F on Speed 4 to stir together.
13. Stir with spatula to completely incorporate if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.