For a richer soup, use homemade beef stock.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 beef shank, about 1 pound
- ¾ tsp kosher salt, divided
- ¼ freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 medium beets, trimmed and cut to fit feed tube
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- ¼ green cabbage
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped, plus more for serving
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
No nutrition information available
- Put 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a large stockpot set over medium-high heat. Season the beef shank with ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef shank and brown on all sides. Once browned, add the onion, beef stock and water. Cover and simmer until beef is very tender and falls off the bone, about 2½ hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, use a Cuisinart® Food Processor to shred the carrots and the beets (use a medium shredding disc). Reserve.
- Put the remaining oil in a large skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the carrots, beets and remaining salt; sauté until softened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet to deglaze. Remove from heat.
- While the carrots and beets are cooking, remove the beef shank from the stockpot. Reserve. Add the potatoes to the stockpot and gently cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, use a Cuisinart® Food Processor to slice the cabbage (a medium slice, 4mm, is ideal). Add the cabbage to the pot and cook until almost tender.
- While the potatoes and cabbage are cooking, shred the beef shank (using two forks) and add it to the pot. Add the carrots and beet mixture; cook until fully warmed through and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and add ½ cup of the fresh dill to the stockpot.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve borscht with additional dill, parsley and sour cream.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!
You might need