This grilled pizza has a great crispy crust and full of flavor which is what pizza should be.
For crust: 1 cup King Arthur all-purpose unbleached flour
¼ cup King Arthur whole wheat flour
¾ cup warm water
1 table spoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup torn kale leaves with stems removed
½ cup low-fat grated mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Manchego cheese
For pesto: 3 table spoons sun-dry tomatoes in olive oil, 2 table spoons water, 3 garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon salt
No nutrition information available
1. Make yeast starter: mix together ½ cup warm water with one table spoon sugar and ½ teaspoon yeast. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes.
2. Add ¼ cup of warm water to the starter, flour, salt and olive oil. Mix together thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Transfer on a well floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes dusting with flour as needed until dough is elastic and no longer sticky. Put the dough in a deep glass or plastic dish greased with olive oil. Cover and let the dough rise for about one hour until it doubles in volume.
3. Put pizza stone in the top oven rack, set the oven on broiler setting and preheat the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the pesto: mix together all the ingredients in a food processor until it becomes a paste. Blanch kale leaves in a little bit of water for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. Punch down the dough and gently stretch out with hands or roll it out on a lightly floured surface to ½ inch thickness, thinner in the center and thicker on the outer edges. Flute the edges slightly. Spread the tomato pesto mixture all around the crust, top with kale leaves and cheese. Put on a foil paper lightly greased with olive oil and dusted with cornmeal. Transfer on a hot baking stone. Bake for 2 minutes on broiler setting, turn the heat down to 500F and bake for 5 more minutes until crust becomes lightly charred and golden brown. Cool on a rack before slicing.