No servings information available
- Vegetable Oil
- 3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joint, wingtips removed and discarded
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon. onion powder
- 1 teaspoon. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup chopped sweet Maui onion (or Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Major Grey’s Mango Chutney
- 2 teaspoon. sriracha chili sauce
- 2 teaspoon. grated fresh ginger
- Sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup pineapple preserves (substitute pineapple ice cream topping)
- ⅓ cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 10-12 spears
No nutrition information available
- For wings: Heat 2 inches of oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat until a deep fry thermometer registers 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a zipper bag. Working in batches, toss the wings to coat in the flour mixture. Fry until lightly browned, about 10 - 12 minutes per batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer wings to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining wings.
- For Polynesian Pineapple and Sweet Onion Wing Sauce: In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the butter. Add the diced onions and sauté until softened and starting to caramelize, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the pineapple juice until thickened and reduced to ⅓ – ½ cup. Whisk in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, chili sauce, ginger and chutney and reserve.
- In a Cuisinart food processor combine the caramelized onions and the pineapple juice mixture, pulsing until combined and onion is pureed. Reserve.
- For Maui Mustard: Combine pineapple preserves and grainy Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Reserve.
- Preheat broiler. Reserve ¼ of a cup of the Polynesian Pineapple and Sweet Onion Wing Sauce. Toss the wings with the remaining sauce and transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil until caramelized, watching carefully, for about two minutes.
- Brush pineapple spears with reserved wing sauce and over a medium high flame, grill for 4-6 minutes turning until pineapple is lightly browned and caramelized.
- Remove wings from oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with Maui Mustard Sauce and grilled pineapple spears.