Resist the temptation to add more flour to the mixing bowl in this sticky dough recipe. Instead, add a little at the end and knead by hand to make light and airy doughnuts.
- 2¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp warm water (105°F to 110˚F)
- ½ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3¾ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups raspberry jam, for filling
- Cinnamon sugar or confectioners’ sugar, for coating
No nutrition information available
- Put the yeast, water together the yeast, water and a pinch of the sugar in the mixing bowl of a Cuisinart® Stand Mixer. Stir to combine and let stand until mixture is foamy and bubbly, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- While yeast is proofing whisk the flour, remaining sugar, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Reserve.
- Once yeast has proofed, add the milk, butter and eggs to the mixing bowl with the yeast mixture. Attach the flat mixing paddle and run on Speed 3 to combine.
- Once combined, turn off the stand mixer and switch the flat paddle to the dough hook. Attach the pour shield to the mixing bowl. Select Speed 3 and slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl. Mix until all the flour is incorporated. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, floured surface. Knead until dough becomes soft, elastic and no longer sticky (this may require adding additional flour while kneading).
- Put dough ball in a clean mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, at least 1 hour.
- Once dough has doubled, turn it out onto a clean, floured work surface. Roll the dough out to about ½ inch thick. With a round cutter, or a drinking glass that is approximately 2¾ – 3 inches in diameter, cut as many circles as possible into the dough. The scraps can be re-rolled, but allow them to rest 15 minutes before you roll.
- Allow doughnuts to rest for a ½ hour, loosely covered with plastic wrap or a clean cloth before frying.
- Fill a heavy-bottomed stockpot or large saucepan halfway with vegetable oil and set over medium heat. Bring oil to 350°F. When oil is ready, carefully add doughnuts to the pot without overcrowding them (doing so will bring down the oil temperature significantly). Fry until lightly golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Drain on layered paper towels. When cool to touch, use a toothpick to poke a hole in the side of each doughnut and then use a medium/small-sized piping tip to fill with jam. Sprinkle with cinnamon or powdered sugar if desired.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!