This is perfect for a small family. The double dose of bacon keeps the rturkey moist. It can also be done in the oven.
- ½lb bacon, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely diced
- ½ cup apples (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 jar (7.4 ounce) chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 bag (16 ounce) corn bread stuffing mix
- 1 cup chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices of bacon
- One 2½lb boneless, skinless turkey breast (butterflied)
No nutrition information available
- Cook bacon in a large, nonstick skillet until brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoon of drippings. Add onions and celery. Cover skillet and cook until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to a large bowl. Add apples, vegetables, sage and chestnuts. Toss to blend.
- Add stuffing mix, broth and butter. Toss to blend. If stuffing is too dry and more broth until desired consistency.
- Spray grids of a grill with nonstick cooking spray. Place a large disposable foil pan under the cooking grid to catch the bacon grease. Preheat grill to high for indirect cooking.
- Place the turkey on a work surface which has been lined with waxed paper or plastic wrap. Pound the breast to an even thickness. Leaving a narrow border on each side, spread the stuffing over the breast. Roll lengthwise into a tight cylinder.
- Arrange 8 bacon slices, on a waxed paper or plastic wrap surface, into parallel strips. Place the turkey breast in the center of the bacon. Crisscross the bacon over the top of the turkey breast. Tie the breast, evenly, with several lengths of kitchen twine. Center the turkey breast over the drip pan. Close grill. Cook until internal temperature of turkey breast reaches 165̊ F., about 60-90 minutes. Occasionally open grill and turn breast so that bacon browns on all sides.
- Transfer breast to carving board and let rest for 15 minutes. Remove twine and slice.