Paella (for the MSC-400)Cuisinart Original Recipe
This version of the traditional Spanish dish
is sure to please any crowd.
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin-on and trimmed of any excess fat
1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
6 ounces Spanish chorizo (2 links)
cut into ¼-inch slices
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 sprig fresh oregano
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1¼ cups Bomba rice*
3 cups chicken broth, low sodium, room temperature
large pinch saffron
½ pound shrimp (about 20 small shrimp), rinsed, peeled and deveined
6 littleneck clams
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
½ cup peas, fresh or frozen
¾ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
lemon wedges for serving
1. Put the oil in the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 400°F.
2. Season the chicken on both sides with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Once unit has preheated, brown the chicken, skin side down first, about 6 minutes per side. Remove and reserve. Carefully remove the cooking pot from the base and pour out excess grease into a heatproof container.
3. Add the chorizo and brown on both sides. Add the garlic, onion, paprika, oregano and ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes into the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have reduced and slightly caramelized, about 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add the rice to the unit and stir to coat with tomato mixture. Add the broth and saffron and stir together well. Cover and reduce the temperature to 300°F. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the chicken pieces to the cooking pot by nestling them in the rice; simmer, covered for an additional 12 to 15 minutes.
7. While chicken is simmering, season shrimp with remaining salt and pepper. Add to unit with the clams and simmer, covered, for an additional 8 to 12 minutes, until clamshells have opened.
8. Stir in the parsley, peas and lemon juice.
9. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side.
*Bomba rice is a Spanish-style rice specific for paella. It can be found in specialty or gourmet stores, or possibly in the international section of many large grocery stores. If you cannot find it, Arborio rice can be used in its place.
ServingsMakes 4 to 6 servings
Nutritional information per serving
(based on 6 servings):
Calories 512 (40% from fat) • carb. 41g • pro. 35g
• fat 23g • sat. fat 7g • chol. 137mg • sod. 1409mg
• calc. 73mg • fiber 3g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products: