• About 3-4 tablespoons white all purpose flour
• 2 medium onions, yellow
• 3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
• 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
• 2 and 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
• 1 teaspoon all-spice
• 1 and 3/4 teaspoons cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups rice (preferably Basmati), washed and drained
• 3 and 1/2 cups water, lukewarm
• 1/2 to 1 cup raw pine nuts, raw pistachios (no shell, unsalted) and slivered almonds (as needed and may be optional too)
• 1/2 teaspoon regular butter
No nutrition information available
2. In a deep container add the flour, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon all-spice, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Mix all together and add the fillets, one at a time in the flour mixture until all covered. Set aside.
4. In the meantime, we're going to cook the onions.
5. Start by peeling the onions, and washing them, then cut each onion lengthwise into thin strips.
6. In a large skillet, add all the olive oil and vegetable or canola oil.
7. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon all-spice, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
8. Fry the onions in the oil and spice blend on medium heat, until golden in color and caramelized. Remove from heat and divide in two plates. Set aside.
9. In the same skillet and in the remaining oil and seasoning, fry the tilapia fillets on low to medium heat until well cooked and flaky, about 6-8 minutes.
10. You may add some olive oil or vegetable oil if needed. Do not overcook.
11. Once done, divide the fillets in two plates and Set aside. Leave them as a whole or cut them into flakes.
12. In a medium saucepan, add the Basmati rice, water and half the fish fillets as well as half the onions that were already cooked.
13. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder to the saucepan.
14. Bring to a boil at medium to high heat and cook until it boils, lowering the heat to simmering until well done.
15. While the rice is cooking, sautee the nuts. This is optional, but nuts will add flavor to this dish and give it a nice aroma.
16. To cook the nuts, add 1/2 teaspoon butter and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil to a small skillet. Also add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder.
17. Add all the nuts and sautee for a few minutes until golden in color. Do not overcook the nuts.
18. Once the rice is ready, carefully spread it in a big platter, and add the remaining fish fillets and caramelized onions on top.
19. Sprinkle with the cooked nuts. It will look and smell amazing!!
20. Enjoy this unique and delicious Mediterranean dish that is full of flavor!!
See more recipes on
Download it Today!