An extremely delicious and colorfully layered dessert flavored with orange and coconut.
For the fruit layer:
5 grams agar agar (China grass)
2 cups orange juice
sugar to sweeten
a few drops orange food color
For coconut layer:
2 cups Coconut Milk
2 tablespoons corn flour
4 to 5 tablespoons sugar
No nutrition information available
Cooking Time: 10 minutes; Preparation Time: few; Setting Time: 240 min.
For the fruit layer
1. Dissolve the agar agar in the orange juice till it softens.
2. Add the sugar and simmer till all the agar agar dissolves.
3. Strain while it is still warm and add the food color.
4. Pour into a 150mm. (6") square tray.
5. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes till it sets.
For the coconut layer
1. Make a paste of the corn flour and 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk.
2. Heat the remaining coconut milk with the sugar.
3. When it comes to a boil, add the corn flour paste and stir till it becomes thick.
4. Remove from the fire, cool slightly and strain.
5. Pour this over the set orange layer and allow it to set in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours.
How to proceed
1. To unmold, place the tray in lukewarm water for a few seconds and unmold on a flat plate.
2. Using a flower shaped cookie cutter, cut out pieces from the set dessert.
3. Lift each piece carefully and place on a serving plate.
4. Serve chilled surrounded by fruit.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes; Makes 2.5 to 3 cups. Ingredients: 1 fresh coconut, grated; 2 cups warm water
1. To the grated coconut, add 2 cups of warm water.
2. Allow it to stand for 2 hours and then strain using a muslin cloth.
3. The strained liquid is coconut milk.
1. Carefully grate only the white part of the coconut avoiding the brown skin as it will change the color of the cream
2. You can also use a layer of chocolate sponge as a base.