For creme brulee lovers who also adore citrus, what could be more delicious?
8 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
2 ½ cups heavy cream
¼ cup Key Lime juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar until just combined.
3. In a saucepan, heat cream to just below a simmer; add to yolk mixture gradually, beating constantly.
4. Stir in the lime juice.
5. Continue to beat until mixture is smooth.
6. Pass through a fine strainer into a bowl or measuring cup with a pouring lip.
7. Stir in vanilla and orange zest.
8. Pour into 6-8 ramekins.
9. Place in a large baking pan; 10. Add water to the pan until it reaches halfway up the side of the ramekins.
11. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Do not overbake. Creme should still be a bit jiggly.
12. Remove ramekins from pan;
13. Cool to room temperature.
14. Refrigerate until chilled, 8 hours or up to 2 days.
15. Just before serving, top each custard with brown sugar. Using a small torch crisp and caramelize the brown sugar. Do not allow sugar to burn.