Easy and money-saving recipe uses end slices of bread that can be stored beforehand in the freezer.
4 ounces frozen strawberries
2 cups apple juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups beaten eggs
2 cups heavy crème
2 cups whole milk
7 oz sugar (by weight)
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
¼ pound unsalted butter, melted
1 pound bread end slices, broken into bite-size pieces
12 ounces fresh strawberries, stems removed and quartered
3 large fresh strawberries, cut lengthwise in half (for garnishing)
whipped cream (for garnishing)
No nutrition information available
1. In a sauce pan, soak frozen strawberries in apple juice for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 345 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, crème, milk, sugar and salt (if desired) until sugar is dissolved. Mix in small pieces of bread end cuts and fruits. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes until bread is socked thoroughly. (The mixture may seem wet but that's what makes the pudding extra moist.)
4. Using a pastry brush, coat liberally the inside of a 3-inch deep baking pan. Transfer bread mixture into the pan, level and top with the rest of melted butter.
5. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes, rotating once, until the bread pudding is set in the middle and golden brown on top.
6. While bread pudding is baking, add honey to the sauce pan and simmer the ingredients over medium heat until reduced by half. Puree in blender.
7. Serve bread pudding warm with halved strawberries, whipped cream.and strawberry-apple coulis.