It's a wheat-based eggless cake. We are not using all purpose flour here, instead we are using whole wheat flour. Moreover it does not have any processed sugar. Sweetness comes from jaggery and dates. We are using milk and dried nuts to add to the nutrient value of the cake. It uses very little vegetable oil. It's as soft and delicious as a normal cake. It's also good for pregnant women.
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup jaggery grated ( or finely scraped)
1 tsp honey
8-9 fresh dates with seeds removed
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
A pinch of ginger powder
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts ( you can use any nuts, raisins).
I also added few tutti fruity pieces( 10-15 green colored tutti fruity pieces)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
No nutrition information available
1) Bring the milk to boil in a pan and add dates to it. Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes and then add grated jaggery. Once everything is mixed well, switch off the flame. Now let it cool a bit and then blend it in a blender/mixer to form a smooth liquid. It should not have any visible dates pieces. Let everything be blended well.
2) Now transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
3) In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg and ginger powder. Add some chopped nuts ( can spare few for garnishing on top) in the flour. I added some tutti fruity pieces too. Mix well.
4) Now transfer the dry mixture to the milk container. Mix it well with a whisk or spoon. You can use hand beater to mix all ingredients well. But take care not to over beat the batter. You just need a light mixing to combine all ingredients well. Add honey and water and mix it well. If you feel the batter is too thick, you can add little more water or milk. (Ideally the amount mentioned in ingredients section should be enough.)
5) Line a small 8 inch round baking tray with parchment paper. Or grease the tray with little oil or butter and transfer the batter to it. Tap the tray a bit so that all the air bubbles get removed. Sprinkle some chopped walnuts over the top.
6) Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer of knife inserted in it turns out clean.
A beautiful wheat cake is ready. You will see a golden brown crust. Let it cool down for 10-15 minutes and then serve it.