Decadent Panna Cotta Chocolate CakeUser Submitted Recipe
Chocolate Indulgence to the Extreme
1 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour (5.7 oz)
3/4 cup Natural Cocoa Powder (2.2 oz)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar (11.7 oz)
1/3 cup Canola Oil
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup Whole Milk (denser) or Sour Cream (lighter)
1/2 cup Coffee, hot
1/2 cup Water, hot
Panna Cotta Filling:
1/2 cup Water
1 1/4 pkt Unflavored Gelatin
7 1/2 oz Bittersweet Chocolate (60% cacao)
5 oz Milk Chocolate (Ghiradelli or Lindt)
20 fl oz Heavy Whipping Cream (2 ½ C)
20 fl oz Milk, whole
1/2 cup, 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract (or 1.5 tsp if not using bean)
1/2 ea Vanilla Bean, split lengthwise
2 16 x 3 inch Wax Paper strips
5 oz Bittersweet Chocolate, premium brand
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
2.5 oz Natural Cocoa Powder (1/2 cup)
8 fl oz Heavy Whipping Cream (1/2 cup)
2.5 oz Confectioner’s Sugar (1/2 cup)
0.15 fl oz Vanilla Extract (1 tsp)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom of a springform pan, 9-inch diameter with 2 ½-inch sides with nonstick baking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick baking spray and dust lightly with flour. Shake off excess flour.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add sugar and blend evenly with a whisk.
3. Add canola oil and whisk until dry ingredients are crumbly.
4. In a small bowl, beat eggs, whisk in milk (if using) and vanilla extract until blended. Blend in sour cream (if using).
5. Beat on low speed the egg mixture into the flour mixture until blended, scraping down sides as needed.
6. Add boiling liquid gradually, mixing just until blended and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
7. Pour into prepared pan; Bake for 45 – 55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool cake in pan on rack for 20 minutes.
9. Remove sides of springform pan. Invert pan onto another wire rack; remove pan bottom and allow cake to cool completely.
10. Remove parchment paper when completely cooled; turn cake upright, trim top of cake, and split cake evenly into 2 even layers. Set aside until ready to assemble cake. Reserve trimmed top; crumble into small crumbs.
Make Panna Cotta Filling:
1. Pour water in a small bowl; sprinkle gelatin evenly over water and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Add both dark and milk chocolates to a large metal bowl.
3. In a large saucepan, combine heavy cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Scrape vanilla seeds into pan; stir to combine.
4. Bring cream mixture to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove from heat just as it starts to boil. Whisk in gelatin to dissolve.
5. Pour over chocolate in bowl; whisk to completely melt chocolate.
6. Stir mixture over an ice water bath to thicken into a pudding, adding more ice to water as needed (about 30 minutes). Place in freezer and stir frequently to assist firming process, if needed.
Make Chocolate Whipped Cream:
1. Chill a medium metal bowl. Whisk heavy cream to soft peaks; sift cocoa powder and powdered sugar; whisk to a consistency easy to pipe.
2. Spoon whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with large star tip.
Make Chocolate Bands:
3. Line full sheet pan with foil; place another large sheet of foil on work surface; place wax paper strips on top, spacing apart.
4. Melt chocolate in a metal bowl set in a saucepan of small amount of simmering water, stirring until smooth.
5. Pour half of melted chocolate down center of each wax paper strip. Use an offset spatula, spread to cover strips evenly, allowing chocolate to extend beyond edges, making sure strip completely covered.
6. Lightly lift strips and place on foil-lined sheet; refrigerate until just sets but flexible (about 2 minutes).
1. Place one layer, cut side up, into springform pan; pour half of panna cotta over cake. Spread panna cotta evenly. Chill for 45 minutes to allow panna cotta to firm. Keep remaining panna cotta at room temperature.
2. Place second layer of cake on top of firm panna cotta, spreading pudding evenly, allowing to pour down sides of pan. Chill overnight. Defrost some in refrigerator before continuing with chocolate bands.
3. Using a knife to loosen sides from springform pan, release hinge and remove pan side.
4. Lift one chocolate band from foil, align with bottom of cake and press around cake. The band will be taller than the cake. Gently pull off wax paper.
5. Lift second chocolate band from foil, align with first band so ends meet, pressing hard; trim any overlapping or extra chocolate and paper. Warm a paring knife and connect 2 bands as necessary, to look like one long band around cake, leaving no visible seams.
6. Pipe a shell design just inside chocolate band. Pipe a row of stars inside shell design.
7. Sprinkle crumbled cake trimmings in center of cake, filling up space left after pipings. Chill overnight.