Creamy Chocolate Icing:User Submitted Recipe
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted twice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolates.
2. Heat in microwave at medium heat at 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment of a Cuisinart Stand Mixer, beat butter on medium high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl occasionally, until very creamy.
5. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the butter and beat until thoroughly incorporated.
6. Add two cups of sifted confectioners' sugar and beat on medium high speed to incorporate thoroughly, scraping down sides occasionally.
7. Add remaining confectioners' sugar and mix until all of the sugar is completely incorporated.
8. Add vanilla extract and milk and beat for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. The frosting should be very creamy.
9. Cover tightly with plastic wrap until ready to use.
10. If preparing the frosting 1 day ahead, cover the frosting tightly with plastic wrap but do not refrigerate.
11. When ready to use, beat the frosting again adding additional milk until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.