Coconut Congo BarsUser Submitted Recipe
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil beyond 2 sides of pan.
3. Lightly coat foil in pan with cooking spray.
4. In small bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt.
5. In another small bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed 2 minutes.
6. Beat in egg and vanilla.
7. On low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended.
8. Stir in all but 3 TBS of the coconut; stir in mini chocolate chips and almonds.
9. Spread in prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining coconut.
10. Bake 30-32 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
11. Let cool completely in pan or rack.
12. Lift by foil ends, transfer to cutting board and cut into 16 squares.