This classic French dessert is a sure way to impress guests.
- 1/2 recipe flaky pastry dough
- 5 apples (about 2 pounds) of your choice, peeled, halved and cored, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- unbleached, all-purpose flour, for rolling
- ¼ cup apricot jam, warmed
Nutritional information per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories 287 (47% from fat) • carb. 37g • pro. 2g • fat 15g
sat. fat 11g • chol. 41mg • sod. 138mg • calc. 11mg • fiber 3g
- Insert dicing grid and blade. Dice 3 apples. Put apples into a medium saucepan with the butter, sugar and lemon juice. Gently simmer over low heat until very tender and liquid, about 30 to 40 minutes. When apples are done cooking, remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and cool.
- While apples are cooking, blind bake the pastry dough: Preheat oven to 350° F. On a lightly dusted surface,
- roll out the pastry dough into a circle about ¹∕8 inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan (with removable bottom) and gently press dough into the sides and bottom of pan. Use the rolling pin to roll over the tart pan and trim the edges of the dough. Gently prick the bottom of the pan with a fork, being sure not to go all the way through. Coat a piece of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place, sprayed side down, onto the top of the dough in the tart pan. Fill with pie weights (dried beans or rice can be used). Bake until bottom of crust is no longer wet, about 20 minutes. Gently remove foil with pie weights and continue baking until golden brown,
- an additional 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven and cool slightly.
- While apple mixture and tart shell are cooling, adjust the slicing disc to setting 3. Insert the slicing disc and slice remaining 2 apples. Toss with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Reserve in bowl.
- Pour cooked and cooled apple mixture into the tart pan and spread evenly. Arrange apple slices over the apple mixture in concentric circles. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Bake until apple slices are soft and lightly golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with the warm apricot jam.
- Let cool slightly in pan and then carefully remove from pan.
- Serve warm.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!