Makes about 20 servings
Nonstick Cooking spray
1 pound carrots, peeled
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
4 large eggs
1¼ cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups walnut pieces (6 ounces)
1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plump golden raisins (6 ounces)
1½ pounds cream cheese, cut into cubes, room temperature
¾ cup (12 tablespoons), cut into cubes, room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Nutritional information per serving of cake: Calories 581 (57% from fat) • carb. 58g • pro. 6g • fat 38g • sat. fat 14g • Col. 89mg • sod. 396mg • calc. 59mg • fiber 2g
Nutritional information per serving of frosting: Calories 168 • carb.138g • pro. 2g • fat 13g • sat. fat 8g • Col. 37mg • sod. 100mg • calc. 20mg • fiber 0g
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. Insert the Shredding Disc Assembly adjusted to fine shred. Secure the Food Processor Lid.
3. Shred the pound of carrots using Speed 12.
4. Remove and reserve; there should be 4 cups of shredded carrots. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1½ cups walnuts to the work bowl. Pulse to roughly chop, about 4-5 pulses.
5. Remove and reserve walnuts. Add a cup each of granulated and dark brown sugar, 4 large eggs, 1¼ cups vegetable oil and teaspoon vanilla extract to the work bowl.
6. The processor is set to blend for 10 seconds on Speed 12 until smooth.
7. Add 1½ cups walnut pieces, 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour, tablespoon cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons each baking powder and cinnamon and teaspoon each ginger, baking soda and salt.
8. Pulse until combined, about 6 to 8 pulses.
9. Scrape the work bowl and remove Metal Chopping Blade. Stir in the cup of raisins and reserved carrots using the spatula.
10. Pour evenly into the prepared pans and bake in the preheated oven until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan.
11. While cake is baking, clean the work bowl and Metal Chopping Blade to prepare the frosting.
12. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1½ pounds room temperature cream cheese, cut into 24 pieces and 1½ sticks room temperature butter (¾ cup), cut into 12 pieces to the work bowl.
13. Secure the Food Processor Lid. The processor is set to blend for 1 minute on Speed 12.
14. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Blend once more for 30 seconds on Speed 12.
15. Scrape the bowl and add 3 cups confectioners’ sugar and 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract.The processor is set to blend for an additional 20 seconds on Speed 12.
16. Scrape the sides of the bowl and pulse to completely combine.
17. Chill to firm before frosting.
18. Once frosting is chilled and set and the cake is completely cool, assemble and frost.
19. Level the tops of each cake with a knife. Top one cake with a little over ½ cup of the frosting, and smooth it out into one even layer.
20. Place the other cake on top and use the remaining frosting to frost the top and sides of the cake. Top with chopped pecans or other desired topping.