- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup banana, mashed (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt (thinned with a little milk)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Coarse Sugar OR Glaze
- 1 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
No nutrition information available
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, banana, molasses, buttermilk and vegetable oil. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired (Or use glaze, below).
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- For Glaze: Mix together orange juice, zest, and powdered sugar. Drizzle over cooled loaf.