Clare McNamara's Irish Soda BreadUser Submitted Recipe
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup raisins
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. Grease a 8 1/2x 41/2-inch loaf pan.
3. Whisk together in a large bowl
flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
5. In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and melted butter.
6. Add to flour mixture and stir just until all dry ingredients are moistened, and the batter is stiff but not sticky.
7. Scrape dough in loaf pan.
8. With a sharp knife slash an X about 1/2 inch deep into top of batter.
9. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan.
11. Unmold and let cool completely on rack before serving.