HONEY WHEAT THREE SEEDED BRAIDUser Submitted Recipe
2 1/2 Cups warm water
1 Tbsp yeast
3/4 honey, adjust to taste
3/4 Cup non-fat dry milk
3/4 Crisco shortening
5/6 Cup bread flour
3 Cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 Cup wheat berries, if desired
1 Cup sunflower seeds,
1 Cup sesame seeds
1 Cup poppy seeds
1 egg + 1 tsp water for egg wash
1. Add ingredients in order give. Salt should be last.
2. Add flour slowly or it will fly out of the mixing bowl. After 8 cups of flour, make sure more flour is needed before adding more. Knead for 5-7 minutes until elastic.
3. Place dough in oiled bowl. Turn over so dough is oiled and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled.
4. Turn oven to 375°. C
5. Cut dough into 6 equal pieces. This recipe will make 2 complete braids.
6. Roll each piece into a ball and then start rolling into a cigar shape by pulling with your hands in opposite direction across the dough. Each should be about 16" long.
7. Egg wash each strand.
8. Cover 1 strand at a time with each variety of seeds. There will be 2 strands of sunflower, 2 of sesame seeds, and 2 of poppy seeds.
9. Braid 1 of each seed strand together, tucking under the ends. Place on Silpat.
1. Let rise until not quite doubled.
2. Bake for 35 minutes, until light golden brown.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!