Makes about 30 wontons
Makes about 30 wontons
Filling: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots (about 2 small to medium) ⅓ cup finely chopped carrot (about 1 small to medium) 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery (2 stalks) 1 green onion, finely chopped ⅓ cup water chestnuts, finely chopped 1½ teaspoons chopped garlic (about 2 cloves) 3 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms (about 2 large button mushrooms) 3 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper (about ¼ large) 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger (about ½ ounce) 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1 tablespoon sesame oil 1⅓ tablespoons rice vinegar 30 wonton wrappers (approximate amount, may need a few more or less) 1¼ cups water
Nutritional information per wonton: Calories 35 (27% from fat) • carb. 5g • pro. 1g • fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 1mg • sod. 65mg • calc. 6mg • fiber 0g
1. Pour 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil into the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet set to 350°F. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the shallots, carrot, celery, and green onion and sauté for about 3 minutes, until vegetables soften slightly. Add the water chestnuts, garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper and continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar and cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool before assembling wontons.
2. Set up your work station in a large space equipped with a small bowl of water and a pastry brush, large plate or cutting board, package of wonton wrappers, and wonton filling. On a clean surface, line up 3 to 6 wonton wrappers at a time. Place ½ tablespoon of filling in the middle of each wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrappers with a small amount of water and fold bottom point up, making a triangle. Either crimp all edges like a pleat or fold up the 2 end points, and pinch to seal, using more water to help if needed. Continue to fill the remaining wontons. Keep the prepared wontons on a clean tray or cutting board and cover with plastic.
3. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 300°F and add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat cooking surface of Skillet. Place half the batch of wontons (about 15) in a single layer in the Skillet. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until sides are browned. Flip and brown other sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and reserve. Repeat with the remaining wontons.
4. Add reserved wontons to the skillet. Pour water into Skillet; cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to 200°F. Cook 12 to 16 minutes, until most of the water has evaporated, and wonton dough is tender.
5. Serve with Ginger Dipping Sauce.