This no-fail recipe is great for the holidays or any time of the year.
1 pound russet potatoes (about 2 medium-large potatoes), peeled
½ medium onion
2 tablespoons unbleached all- purpose flour (you may use matzo meal)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Nutritional information per latke:
Calories 78 (57% from fat) • carb. 7g • pro. 1g • fat 5g
- sat. fat 1g • chol. 16mg • sod. 202mg • calc. 7mg • fiber 1g
Active Time: 35 minutes Inactive Time: n/a
- Insert the medium shredding disc into the work bowl of the food processor. Shred potatoes and onion on High.
- Put shredded potatoes and onion on a clean towel and wrap and squeeze all the liquid out. Place in a bowl; add the flour, parsley, salt and pepper; toss to mix thoroughly. Stir in the egg.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat the inside of the pan. Once oil is hot, drop pancake mixture by scant ¼-cup amounts to form 4 cakes (continue to squeeze out any excess liquid) evenly spaced in skillet. Press down on top to flatten to about ¼-inch thickness. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through, or until crispy and light brown.
- Repeat with remaining latke mixture, adding more oil as needed (you want to use plenty of oil, being sure that the pan is never dry, or your latke will burn).
- Transfer to a paper-towel-lined tray or plate. You may also keep warm on a rack in a 200ºF oven until ready to serve.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!