This salad gets better the longer you let it sit; the flavors become bolder and the celery root gets softer. Make up to a couple of days ahead to serve at a party or make to eat all week.
- Dressing: makes 1 cup
- 1 small shallot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup packed fresh tarragon leaves
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salad: makes about 8 cups
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pistachios, shelled
- 2 small heads or 1 large head (about 12 ounces) celery root
- 1/2 lemon (for rubbing celery root and apple)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 gala (or similar) apple, cored
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2cup tarragon dressing
- chopped tarragon, for garnish
Nutritional information for dressing per serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 186 (97% from fat) • carb. 1g • pro. 0g • fat 21g
sat. fat 3g • chol. 0mg • sod. 222mg • calc. 6mg • fiber 0g
Nutritional information for salad per serving (1 cup): Calories 147 (40% from fat) • carb. 20g • pro. 4g • fat 7g
sat. fat 1g • chol. 0mg • sod. 45mg • calc. 44mg • fiber 4g
- 1. To make dressing: Put the shallot and tarragon into the small work bowl fitted with the small chopping blade. Pulse to roughly chop, about 2 to 3 times.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper to work bowl. Process on Low to fully blend, about 20 seconds.
- While food processor is running on Low, slowly pour the olive oil through the drizzle hole in the pusher. Continue to process on Low until emulsified, about 40 seconds. Reserve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To make salad: Put the pistachios into the large bowl fitted with the large chopping blade. Pulse, to roughly chop, about 5 to 6 times. Reserve in bowl.
- Remove the large chopping blade and insert the shredding disc with the medium side facing up. Prep celery root by washing and peeling. Rub peeled celery root with lemon half. Cut celery root into pieces so that they will fit into the feed tube. Rub each piece with more lemon. Shred celery root on High. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Toss with 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Prep apple by halving, coring and rubbing with lemon half. Remove medium shredding disc and flip so the fine side is facing up; shred apple on High. Add to bowl with celery root. Toss mixture with additional teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add raisins and Tarragon Dressing; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and more fresh tarragon if desired.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!