Perfect sauce for topping tamales or tacos.
Makes about 2½ cups
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup red chile powder (preferably New Mexican style)
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
2 tablespoons honey
1 bay leaf
Nutritional information per serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 20 (27% from fat) • carb. 4g • pro. 0g • fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • Col. 0mg • sod. 48mg • calc. 8mg • fiber 1g
Vegetarian • Gluten Free
1. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add the medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces and 2 garlic cloves to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
2. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
3. Scrape the work bowl and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed.
4. The cooking time is set for 8 minutes at 275°F on Speed 2.
5. Add ¼ cup red chile powder and ½ teaspoon salt. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time at 205°F on Speed 3 is set.
6. Add the 14.5 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 205°F on Speed 5.
7. Add 1 cup of low-sodium chicken broth, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 bay leaf. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 212°F on Speed 4.
8. Once the liquid is boiling, the cooking time is set for 1 hour at 205°F on Speed 2.
9. Remove bay leaf and taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.