This hearty loaf makes for great toast. Slice thickly, toast, and slather with your favorite spread.
1-1/2 cups warm water (105°F to 110°F)
2 tablespoons honey
2-1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
3-1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon rolled oats, divided
2 tablespoons flaxseed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
nonstick cooking spray
No nutrition information available
- Put the water, honey, and yeast in the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Mix the flour, 1 cup of the oats, the flaxseed, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Once the yeast is proofed, add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer bowl. Turn the mixer to Speed 2, and mix until the ingredients slowly form a dough ball. Once a ball forms, knead the dough for about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a large, clean mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours. Once doubled, punch down the dough and shape into a large round. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray, and cover the dough loosely, sprayed side down. Allow to rise for an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 425°F. When ready to bake, score an “X” into the top of the dough with a knife and sprinkle the top with remaining oats.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is evenly golden and the internal temperature of the bread reaches at least 190°F.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.