This pizza has a nice balance of flavors, from the sweet sauce to the briny olives to the spice of the crushed red pepper.
Makes one 14-inch pizza (8 servings)
1 recipe pizza dough
2 ounces parmesan cornmeal for sprinkling
1 teaspoon olive oil, for brushing
1⁄3 cup pizza sauce (purchased,
or see recipe on page 26)
1⁄3 to ½ cup pitted kalamata olives
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved pinch crushed red pepper
pinch flaked sea salt fresh basil leaves, torn, for garnish
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 140 (27% from fat) • carb. 20g • pro. 5g • fat 4g
- sat. fat 1g • chol. 5mg • sod. 432mg • calc. 87mg • fiber 1g
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Prepare the Pizza Dough and allow to rise. Position the top rack of the oven about 8 inches from the top. If using a baking stone, place it on the rack. Preheat oven to 500°F for 30 minutes or longer.
- Insert the fine shredding disc into the work bowl of the food processor. Shred the Parmesan on Low; reserve.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently press the dough down with your fingertips to flatten slightly and then stretch into a 14-inch round. Place on a baker’s peel that has been generously sprinkled with cornmeal, or on a perforated pizza pan, a pizza screen or baking sheet without sides that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Brush the edges of the pizza with the olive oil. Spread the sauce on top of the dough, leaving about a ¼-inch edge. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and then top with the olives, grape tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Carefully slide the pizza onto the stone, if using (position the peel over the back edge of the stone, and use a rocking motion to shake and slide the pizza off the peel onto the stone), or place the pan into the hot oven.
- Bake the pizza for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top is bubbly and the edges of the dough are golden brown, puffed and crispy. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the salt and basil and let rest on a rack for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing.