Makes one 9-inch pan, about 9 servings
3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into cubes (about 3 cups cubes)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
pinch kosher salt
Mac and Cheese:
¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 tablespoons
3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
3 ounces Gruyère, shredded
2 ounces Swiss Emmenthaler, shredded
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
dash hot pepper sauce
8 ounces penne, cooked to manufacturer’s instructions
Calories 400 (32% from fat) • carb. 53g • pro. 15g • fat 14g • sat. fat 8g • chol. 41mg • sod. 349mg • calc. 249mg • fiber 2g
- Place bread cubes with butter into an oven safe 9” square pan.
- Place pan on the grill rack of the Cuisinart® Convection Microwave Oven with Grill in the upper rack position.
- Place rack in the oven and select the first Grill Combination (G-1).
- Set time for 5 minutes, toss croutons with the butter and then repeat two times until croutons are crisp. Remove and reserve.
- Place butter into 1½ quart, microwave and oven safe casserole dish.
- Place dish in and microwave on half power (PL 5) for 45 seconds, microwave in 10-second intervals on half power until butter is melted.
- Stir in the flour with a whisk and microwave again on 60% power (PL 6) for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and microwave on full power (PL 10) for 5 minutes; whisk mixture well, being sure to get into the corners. Repeat 2 more times until mixture has thickened considerably.
- Stir in shredded cheeses, salt and hot sauce; stir mixture together until all the cheese has melted.
- Stir cooked pasta into the mixture along with ⅔ of the croutons. Place remaining croutons on the top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F on the convection setting. Once preheated, place casserole, covered, on the grill rack in the lower rack position. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and select the first Grill Combination (G-1). Grill for 8 minutes so the top is golden.