The broth for these mussels has such great flavor - don't forget the crusty bread to get every last drop!
Makes 2 to 4 servings
3 garlic cloves
1 celery stalk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 sprigs fresh thyme
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup chicken broth
1 pound mussels, scrubbed with beards removed
Nutritional information per serving (based on 4 servings): Calories 219 (51% from fat) • carb. 7g • pro. 15g • fat 13g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 42mg • sod. 384mg • calc. 43mg • fiber 0g
1. Insert the Slicing Disc Assembly adjusted to 2mm. Slice the 2 shallots, 3 garlic cloves and celery stalk through the small feed tube on Speed 12.
2. Replace the Slicing Disc Assembly with the Stirring Paddle.
3. Add a tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 thyme sprigs and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper into work bowl.
4. Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 8 minutes at 275°F on Speed 2.
5. Remove the Stirring Paddle and add the ½ cup each white wine and broth. The cooking time is set for 5 minutes at 212°F with no speed.
6. Add the mussels and secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap in place. The cooking time is set for 12 minutes at 212°F.
7. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
8. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve in shallow soup bowls with crusty bread to sop up the broth.