- 1/2 pound spicy cooked sausage (andouille or chorizo) cut in 1/4-inch rounds (chicken or turkey andouille or chorizo will be lower in fat)
- 1 cup sliced celery, (about 2 stalks) cut on the bias in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed, but left whole
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 2 cans (14 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock, fat free, low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram (or oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 drops *Tabasco® sauce or more, to taste
- 1-1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 315 (27% from fat) • carb. 15g • pro. 36g • fat 9g • sat. fat 3g • chol. 254mg • sod. 830mg • calc. 107mg • fiber 3g
- Place sliced sausages in a cold Cuisinart™ Electric Skillet; set the temperature to 300°F. When the sausage pieces are nicely browned, add the celery, green pepper, yellow pepper, orange pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Add shallots; stir for 30 seconds (do not let burn), then immediately pour in wine. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, bay leaves, and marjoram. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove garlic pieces; taste for seasoning. Add salt, pepper and Tabasco® if desired. Add shrimp; stir to combine, cover, and cook until shrimp are firm and pink, about 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with parsley and green onions. Serve with rice or crusty bread.
*Tabasco® is a registered trademark owned by the McIlhenny Co.