1 ounce parmigiano reggiano, cut into ½-inch cubes
4 to 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, well chilled
2 to 3 plum tomatoes (ripe, but still firm)
8 to 10 medium to large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
unbleached, all-purpose flour, for stretching dough
Cornmeal, for sprinkling
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
pinch kosher salt
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 184 (40% from fat) • carb. 20g • pro. 7g • fat 8g
• sat. fat 3g • chol. 14mg • sod. 390mg • calc. 96mg • fiber 1g
1. Prepare the pizza dough and allow to rise. Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in the middle of the oven. If using a baking stone, place it on the rack and allow to heat for an additional 30 minutes after the oven has preheated.
2. While the oven is heating, insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of the food processor. With the unit running on High, drop the Parmigiano cubes through the feed tube and process until finely grated. Remove and reserve.
3. Remove the chopping blade and insert the medium shredding disc. Shred the mozzarella on High. Remove and reserve. Flip the shredding disc to the slicing disc side. Slice the tomatoes on High.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, stretch the dough into a 12 to 14-inch round. Place on a baker’s peel or the underside of a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal (or you can stretch the dough onto a greased pizza mesh/screen, or alternately bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet). Brush the dough with the olive oil and then sprinkle with both of the cheeses. Arrange the sliced tomatoes over the cheese.
5. Carefully slide the pizza into the oven (whether onto the stone, or onto a baking sheet or directly onto the rack if using a pizza screen). Bake the pizza for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the dough is nicely browned at the edges.
6. Remove pizza and sprinkle with the fresh basil and pinch of salt.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!