Makes 8 to 10 servings
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder,
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¹∕³ cup + 1 tablespoon reduced fat milk, hot
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¹∕³ cup packed light brown sugar
¹∕³ cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
¾ teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons Kirschwasser or Kahlúa® vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
Nutritional information per serving (based on 10 servings): Calories 394 (30%) from fat • carb. 65g • pro. 4g • fat 14g • sat. fat 6g • chol. 23mg • sod. 147 mg • calc. 46mg • fiber 3g
1. Lightly coat a 1-quart soufflé dish with teaspoon butter. Cut a piece of aluminum foil about 24 inches long. Fold in half lengthwise, then fold in half again two more times to create a strip about 24 inches in length and 2 inches wide to make a “cradle”; reserve.
2. Combine ½ cup granulated sugar in large bowl with the flour, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add hot milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Using a Cuisinart® SmartPower® Hand Mixer (okay? Or just “using a hand mixer”) on low speed, beat until smooth.
3. Spread into prepared soufflé dish. Stir together remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons cocoa and toasted pecans in small bowl; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Combine hot water, espresso? and Kirschwasser; pour over batter. Do not stir.
4. Set the dish in the center of the long strip of folded foil and bring up the sides to meet, twisting them together to form a handle. Insert rack in the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow Cooker. To place soufflé dish on the rack, use the foil cradle to help lift the dish, and carefully lower the dish into the pot and place on the rack. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on.
5. Set time to 3 hours and press High; slow cooker will automatically switch to Warm when cooking time has elapsed. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Remove the soufflé dish from the slow cooker using the foil strips to lift it up.
6. Serve warm or chilled in dessert dishes, spooning both cake and pudding-like mixture on bottom into the dish. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.