8 large eggs
2 cups milk (we used reduced fat, but any variety will do)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 to 2 pinches kosher salt
8 slices challah bread, ¾ inch thick
Unsalted butter or coconut oil, for griddle
Confectioners’ sugar for serving
Fresh fruit for serving
Nutritional information per slice: Calories 195 (32% from fat) • carb. 25g • pro. 7g • fat 7g sat. fat 3g • chol. 172mg • sod. 208mg calc. 116mg • fiber 1g
1. Put the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk to fully combine and pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Soak half of the bread in the milk mixture, turning so both sides are saturated.
3. While the bread is soaking, turn on the Cuisinart® Griddler®. Select Griddle and set to 350°F.
4. Once preheated, put the soaked bread on the hot griddle and select the count-up timer. Cook 3½ to 4 minutes per side. Soak remaining bread while first batch of French toast is cooking.
5. Remove and reserve the cooked French toast in a warm oven and then repeat with remaining soaked bread.
6. To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar and top with fresh fruit and maple syrup, if desired.