Whipped egg whites make these waffles light, fluffy and irresistible.
Makes 4 cups batter, about 4 large Belgian waffles
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup batter):
Calories 411 (38% from fat) • carb. 52g • sugars 6g • pro. 1g • fat 17g • sat. fat 3g
• chol. 97mg • sod. 705mg • calc. 138mg • fiber 1g
- Put dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Using the whisk attachment , select Speed 1 and whisk to combine ingredients, about 10 seconds.
- Put the egg whites and cream of tartar into a separate clean, large bowl. Again, using the whisk attachment, select Speed 1 and whisk. As the egg whites start to thicken, slowly increase the speed to Speed 5 to achieve medium peaks, which takes about 2 minutes total.
- Put the yolks, oil, buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl. select Speed 1 and whisk until combined, about 10 seconds.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and, using Speed 1, whisk in the yolk mixture until just combined. Then, with a spatula, carefully fold in the egg whites.
- Use the recommended amount of batter in your waffle maker’s recipe booklet to cook waffles.