Makes 16 meatballs
2 tablespoons milk (whole or reduced fat)
1 slice sandwich bread, torn into1-inch pieces
1 medium celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup unsalted butter, divided
¼ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
¼ cup sour cream
Olive oil, for brushing
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 97 (57% from fat) • carb. 3g • pro. 7g • fat 6g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 42mg • sod. 221mg • calc. 33mg • fiber 0g
1. Put the milk into a large mixing bowl and add 1 slice of sandwich bread broken into pieces. Let soak; reserve.
2. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1 celery stalk and ½ onion, each cut into 1-inch pieces, to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
3. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
4. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the teaspoon of olive oil. Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed.
5. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes at 285°F on Speed 1 so that the vegetables are lightly caramelized and any excess moisture evaporates. Let cool slightly.
6. Add the cooked vegetables, 1 pound ground turkey, 1 teaspoon each salt and baking powder, ¼ teaspoon each white pepper and allspice, pinch of nutmeg and 1 beaten egg to the bowl with the soaked bread.
7. With gentle hands, mix together until fully combined. Mix as little as possible, because if over-mixed, the meatballs will be tough. Form into 1-inch meatballs.
8. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
9. Arrange meatballs, 2 inches apart and brush with olive oil. Bake meatballs in an oven preheated to 375°F for 20 to 35 minutes, turning halfway through for browning on both sides.
10. Prepare the gravy.
11. Insert Stirring Paddle. Add ¼ cup butter to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
12. The cooking time is set for 3 minute at 210°F on Speed 1, so that the butter is melted and foamy.
13. Add ¼ cup flour to the work bowl. The cooking time is set for 3 minutes at 205°F on Speed 4 until mixture is slightly browned.
14. An additional 15 minutes of cooking time is set at 205°F on Speed 4. When started, add 2 cups chicken broth slowly, a little at a time, to incorporate between each addition.
15. Add 2 tablespoons cooked gravy to ¼ cup sour cream and stir to combine.
16. Add gravy mixture with cooked meatballs to the work bowl.
17. The cooking time is set for 3 minutes at 85°F on Speed 4 to combine.
18. To keep warm until serving, the cooking time is set for 1 hour, 160°F with no speed.
19. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.