Serve these as an appetizer, or with soup in place of crackers.
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes
1 tablespoon prepared pesto
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
1 egg white, beaten until foamy
Nutritional information per twist: Calories 84 (51% from fat) • carb.9g • pro. 2g • fat 5g • sat. fat 1g • chol.0 mg • sod. 66mg • calc. 8mg • fiber 0g
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll the thawed puff pastry until it measures 10 x 12 inches; use a pastry wheel to cut the puff pastry in half crosswise.
2. Combine the pesto, grated cheese, and half the beaten egg white (discard the remaining egg white). Spread the pesto mixture over one of the half- sheets using an offset spatula; top with the second half-sheet. Use a rolling pin to lightly roll together.
3. With the pastry wheel, cut the sheet in half crosswise, then cut each piece into eight strips, 6 x ½ inches each. Twist each strip 3 to 4 times; pinch ends to seal.
4. Place on a tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Ten minutes before baking, place the rack in position B; preheat the toaster oven to 425ºF on bake setting.
5. Line the baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper. Arrange 8 puff pastry twists evenly on the parchment-lined pan.
6. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes at 425ºF until puffed and crispy. Remove from the pan with tongs or a spatula and place on a rack to cool. Arrange the second batch on the same pan and repeat. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.