- 4 ounces smoked chicken or turkey andouille sausage*
- cooking spray
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon good quality olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper (¼-inch chop)
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper (¼-inch chop)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ cups (Rice Cooker) long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1¾ cups (standard liquid measure) chicken stock
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Tabasco® or other hot sauce
Nutritional information per serving (based on 4 servings): Calories 299 (8% from fat) • carb. 50g • pro. 19g • fat 3g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 113mg • sod. 644mg • calc. 59g • fiber 2g
- Cut sausage into ½-inch slices. Lightly coat the interior of the steamer tray with cooking spray. Place the sausage and shrimp into the steaming tray; reserve. Insert the cooking bowl into the Cuisinart® Rice Cooker/Steamer.
- Place the olive oil in the bowl, cover, and turn on. After 1 minute, add the onions, celery, green and red peppers, and garlic; stir to coat with oil. Cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the rice, thyme, and chili powder. Stir until rice is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and tomato sauce; tuck in the bay leaf. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the filled steaming tray on the cooking bowl; cover. Continue to cook until Rice Cooker switches to Warm, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Let stand at Warm for 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Gently toss rice mixture with steamed shrimp and sausage. Add half the parsley and toss to combine. Transfer to a warmed bowl to serve. Sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley. Serve with hot sauce if desired.
*Smoked chicken or turkey andouille sausage has much less fat than traditional pork andouille. It can be found in many well-stocked grocery stores. Smoked turkey kielbasa can be substituted.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!