Makes 1-1/2 pounds dough, 2 baguettes
- 1 ⅛ cups water, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1¾ teaspoons yeast, active dry, instant or bread machine cornmeal for dusting
Calories 72 (3% from fat) • carb 15g • pro 2g • fat 0g • chol 0mg • sod 177mg • calc 4mg • fiber 1g
- Place all ingredients except for the cornmeal, in the order listed into the bread pan fitted with the kneading paddle and secure in the Cuisinart Bread Maker. Press menu button to select the dough program.
- Press start to mix, knead and rise. For best mixing results, scrape the pan 10 to 15 minutes after the program has started. When cycle is completed, remove dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Punch to deflate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a long narrow baguette and place on a baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise 30 to 40 minutes.
- While baguettes rise, place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat to 425° F. Dust dough gently with additional flour.
- Make 4 diagonal slashes in each loaf about ¼-inch deep using a serrated knife. Bake bread in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes until browned and hollow sounding when tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Bread slices best when allowed to cool completely.