A delicious New Mexican stew guaranteed to warm you up on even the coldest of days.
Makes about 11 cups
1 small sweet potato or butternut squash, about 8 ounces, peeled
1 red or white waxy potato, about 8 ounces, peeled
1 medium carrot
1 small red bell pepper
4 garlic cloves
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
¼ cup lager-style beer
4 cans (4 ounces each) diced and roasted, mild green chiles
4 to 5 cups chicken broth, low sodium, divided
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe *Latin Shredded Chicken* or 2 pounds roasted chicken, shredded
1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 233 (25% from fat) • carb. 21g • pro. 22g • fat 6g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 64mg • sod. 824mg • calc. 26mg • fiber 4g
1. Insert the Dicing Assembly. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Dice a small, peeled sweet potato and white potato on Speed 12 using the medium feed tube.
2. Remove and reserve, covering with water. Replace Dicing Assembly. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Dice the carrot and bell pepper.
3. Remove and reserve separate from the potatoes. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 4 garlic cloves with 1 seeded jalapeño and onion, each cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Secure the Food Processor Lid. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
5. Scrape the work bowl. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle. Add 4 tablespoons butter with the reserved carrots and peppers.
6. Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
7. Add 4 tablespoons flour. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set at 250°F on Speed 2.
8. Add ¼ cup beer. The cooking time is set for an additional 5 minutes.
9. Add 16 ounces chopped green chiles, 3 cups chicken broth and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
10. Remove the Stirring Paddle. Add the *Latin Shredded Chicken* (or 2 pounds roasted chicken, shredded), can of kidney beans and reserved potatoes, drained.
11. The cooking time is set for 2 hours at 210°F with no speed.
12. Taste and adjust seasoning with remaining teaspoon of salt, a pinch at a time. Add additional broth if a thinner consistency is desired.