The ultimate comfort food.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium carrot, peeled and trimmed
1 celery stalk, trimmed
1 small onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 roasted chicken approximately 2 to 3 pounds, room temperature and cut into 1-inch pieces(skin and carcass discarded)
⅔ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, divided
4 to 5 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 medium waxy potato, cut into 12-inch cubes
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 12-inch cubes
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup frozen pearl onions
⅓ cup frozen peas
1 recipe buttermilk biscuit dough (use our recipe on the website under the Food Processors, or use your favorite recipe or store-bought version - be sure that you can make 9 small biscuits)
Calories 459 (49% from fat) | carb. 30g | pro. 27g | fat 25g sat. fat 11g | chol. 103mg | sod. 791mg | calc. 41mg | fiber 3g
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put the butter in a medium stockpot over medium-low heat.
- While pan is heating, prepare the vegetables. Insert the slicing disk into the work bowl of the food processor and slice the carrot and celery together and reserve.
- Remove the slicing disc and insert the chopping blade. Add the onion and pulse about 10 times to chop. Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pot to sauté. Sauté until vegetables are softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In two to three batches, roughly chop the chicken by pulsing 2 to 3 times. Remove and reserve in a separate bowl.
- Stir the flour into the vegetable mixture and cook for about 3 minutes to eliminate any raw flour taste. Slowly whisk in 4 cups of the chicken broth, increase heat to medium high to bring to a boil, and then reduce heat slightly to maintain a healthy simmer. Stir in the potato, salt and pepper and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender. (Add more broth if necessary so vegetables stay submerged.) Stir in the reserved chicken and frozen onions. Simmer for an additional 35 to 40 minutes to thicken slightly. Once stew-like, stir in the peas.
- While filling is cooking, prepare the biscuit dough. Cut into 9 pieces. Reserve, covered loosely with plastic.
- Pour filling into a 9-inch square pan. Evenly distribute the biscuits over the top of the filling so there is about ¼ inch of space between biscuits.
- Bake until biscuits are fully cooked through and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Allow pot pie to rest at least 15 minutes before serving.