Makes about fourteen 1/2-cup servings
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process preferred)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 3-¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Calories 286 (66% from fat) • carb. 23g • pro. 3g • fat 22g • sat. fat 14g • chol. 79mg • sod. 37mg • calc. 81mg • fiber 2g
- Place the cocoa and sugars in a medium bowl; stir to combine.
- Add the whole milk and use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine until the cocoa and sugars are dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. If not freezing immediately, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Turn machine on; pour mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 35 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.