Makes about 6 to 8 servings
1 garlic clove
1-inch piece ginger, peeled
1 serrano pepper, stemmed
1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon ghee or a neutral oil, such as grapeseed oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
1½ teaspoons salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground garam masala
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon hot curry
¼ teaspoon cayenne
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup plain, full-fat yogurt, whisked well
1½ cups fire-roasted, crushed tomatoes
⅓ cup light cream
Fresh cilantro for garnish
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 219 (39% from fat) • carb. 8g • pro. 25g • fat 9g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 105mg • sod. 819mg • calc. 79mg • fiber 2g
1. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1 garlic clove, 1-inch piece of ginger, 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces, and stemmed serrano pepper to the work bowl.
2. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place. The processor is set to chop for 10 seconds on Speed 12.
3. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add 1 tablespoon ghee or neutral oil to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
4. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 275°F on Speed 3.
5. While aromatic vegetables are cooking, season 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
6. Add the chicken to the work bowl. The cooking time is set for 5 additional minutes at 285°F on Speed 3.
7. If necessary, stir together with the spatula to fully coat chicken with the aromatic vegetables.
8. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk 1 cup plain yogurt well. Add 1½ cups fire roasted tomatoes, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
9. Add 2 teaspoons each cumin, garam masala and coriander, 1 teaspoon each paprika, turmeric and hot curry, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, 3 tablespoons tomato paste and the yogurt mixture. Add mixture to chicken.
10. Secure Cooking Lid. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes on 250°F on Speed 2
11. When mixture is at a simmer, the cooking time is set for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 205°F on Speed 1.
12. Add ⅓ cup light cream. Secure the Cooking Lid. The cooking time is set for 30 additional minutes.
13. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.
14. Serve over rice with fresh cilantro.