For a real treat, serve this with our Hot Fudge Sauce.
Makes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed dark or light brown sugar pinch sea or kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 268 (62% from fat) • carb. 23g • pro. 3g • fat 19g • sat. fat 11g
• chol. 69mg • sod. 44mg • calc. 61mg • fiber 1g
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars and salt. Add the milk and, using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat to combine until the cocoa, sugars and salt are dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.