Always a winning combination, fresh mint and chocolate take the forefront in this rich and creamy ice cream.
Makes about 6 cups (twelve ½-cup servings)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 pinch sea or kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (about 8 cookies)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 293 (58% from fat) • carb. 27g • pro. 4g • fat 20g • sat. fat 11g
• chol. 148mg • sod. 98mg • calc. 115mg • fiber 1g
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, whisk together the milk, cream, half of the granulated sugar, salt and vanilla. Bring the mixture just to a boil. Remove from heat and add the mint leaves; let steep for 20 to 30 minutes. If you desire a milder mint flavor, remove and discard the mint leaves after steeping, but for a more intense ice cream we recommend blending the milk/mint mixture using an immersion blender. After steeping, return the mixture just to a boil over medium-low heat.
- While the milk/cream mixture is reheating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
- Once the milk/cream mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about ¹∕³ of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another ¹∕³ of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will overcook – the process should only take a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and bring to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. When the ice cream is almost fully churned, gradually add the crushed cookies through the mix-in opening; let mix until fully combined.
- The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.