The butter used to toast the pecans can be saved and used over pancakes or waffles.
Makes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup pecans (halves, pieces or whole)
- 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch sea or kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 349 (75% from fat) • carb. 19g • pro. 3g • fat 30g • sat. fat 15g
• chol. 81mg • sod. 45mg • calc. 68mg • fiber 1g
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add the pecans and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium-low heat until pecans are toasted and golden, stirring frequently, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the pecans, allowing them to chill. The butter can be used for another use – delicious over pancakes or waffles.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine the milk, sugar and pinch of salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. Five minutes before mixing is completed, add the reserved pecans through the mix-in opening and let mix in completely. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.