Makes one loaf, 12 servings
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
⅓ cup warm water (105°F to 110°F)
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1½ teaspoons salt
1 cup cold water
Nonstick cooking spray
Nutritional information per serving (1 slice): Calories 195 (20% from fat) • carb. 34g • pro. 6g • fat 4g • sat. fat 2g • Col. 10mg • sod. 286mg • calc. 14mg • fiber 3g
1. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, dissolve a packet of yeast and 1½ tablespoons sugar in ⅓ cup warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Insert Dough Blade. Add 2 cups of white flour, 2 cups whole-wheat flour, 4 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoons, and 1½ teaspoons salt to the work bowl.
3. Secure the Cooking Lid. The processor is set to sift and combine for 30 seconds on Speed 6.
4. Add a cup of cold water to the yeast mixture. With the machine running on Speed 10, pour the liquid through the Steam Vent as fast as the flour will absorb it.
5. Continue processing to knead on Speed 10. Once dough cleans the sides of the work bowl and forms a ball, turn off processor. Dough should be smooth and elastic.
6. Gather dough. Remove Dough Blade and put dough back into the Work Bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place. The cooking time is set for 45 minutes at 85°F to proof.
7. While dough is proofing, lightly coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
8. Put dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down.
9. Shape the dough into a loaf. Place in prepared pan and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let rise until dough is just above the top of the pan, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
10. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake until the top is browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.