Don't forget to add the garnish to this slightly spicy, yet soothing soup - the flavor combination is a delight!
Makes about 6 servings
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder (preferably ancho, but any chili powder will work)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon ground coriander
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained, juices discarded
3½ cups chicken broth, low sodium
2 cups roasted and shredded chicken (about 1 pound of chicken – approximately 1 breast and 1 leg) or *Latin Shredded Chicken*
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Tortilla strips or chips
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 130 (38% from fat) • carb. 23g • pro. 9g • fat 9g • sat. fat 2g • Col. 0mg • sod. 268mg • calc. 19mg • fiber 1g
1. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1 onion and 1 jalapeño, each cut into 1-inch pieces, and 2 garlic cloves to the work bowl.
2. Secure the Cooking Lid. The processor is set for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
3. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add a teaspoon olive oil.
4. Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 8 minutes at 270°F on Speed 2.
5. Add teaspoon each chili powder and salt, ¼ teaspoon cumin and ⅛ teaspoon ground coriander.
6. The cooking time is set for an additional 2 minutes so that spices become fragrant.
7. Add can of drained, diced tomatoes and 3½ cups of chicken broth. Secure Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap in place.
8. The cooking time is set for 8 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
9. The cooking time is set for 20 minutes at 205°F on Speed 2.
10. Add the 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken. The cooking time is set for 5 minutes, so that the chicken will be completely warmed through.
11. Serve immediately with the cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips and a squeeze of lime.