My Mum would have loved this. This can be used as a marinade for meats or added to yogurt as a dip for veggies or mixed with Cream Cheese and spread on bread or spread on crackers.
makes about 1 1/2 cups
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon allspice
3 garlic cloves
5-6 red jalapeno or Serrano chilies(the more you add, the hotter the Harissa)
2 large or 3 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled , coarsely chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1-2 tablespoon chopped cilantro or mint leaves
No nutrition information available
1. Toast cumin, coriander and caraway seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until aromatic, 1 minute. Let cool. Add allspice. Grind ½ of the seeds to a fine powder.
2. Combine ground seeds, garlic, chilies, red peppers and 1 tablespoon olive oil in bowl of food processor. Process, adding additional olive oil if necessary, for a thick sauce-like consistency. Add remaining seeds to harissa add ground pepper and salt. Mix until blended.
3. Let Harissa sit at least one hour and up to 24 hours before serving. (Refrigerate until use.)
4. For long term storage put in jar and float some Olive Oil to cover it will ferment in a few weeks.
5. Before serving stir in a little chopped cilantro and/or mint.